The Global Citizenship Programme invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for appointment to an 8-month, 60 hour per month fixed term contract at Assistant Lecturer level, from 25 April – 15 December 2018. A copy of this advert is available here.
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree
- An interest in teaching and learning
- An understanding of the importance of social justice and transformation in HE
- Evidence of curiosity, enthusiasm and an openness to learning
- Excellent communication skills
- Being a good team player
- Proactivity and the ability to use one’s initiative
- Being flexible with hours when necessary
- Good knowledge of computer skills including Word, PowerPoint, internet searches etc.
The following would be advantageous:
- Familiarity with the GC programme
- Have completed either of our short courses GC1, GC2 or the Social infrastructures course.
- Knowledge of the UCT context
- Interested in a career in academia
- Networking skills
- Experience of tutoring and working with diverse students
- Experience with Excel
- Assisting the Programme Coordinator with administrative duties on the GC programme as well as on the programme short courses;
- Involvement in tutoring and teaching;
- Supporting the GC Programme Director as appropriate and where time allows;
- Other programme activities as required;
- Specific areas of responsibility:
- Documenting work of the GC programme using various media including film;
- Desk-based research on global citizenship programmes, and other related programme issues;
- Assistance with fundraising and partnership building;
- Social media and marketing
The cost of employment is R8 340.00 per month
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Carolyn Le Tang at Carolyn.LeTang@uct.ac.za:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Cover letter, and
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum of 4 pages) including contact details of at least two referees.
In your covering letter you need to address the following:
- why you are interested in the position;
- what experience do you have to contribute towards the position i.e. why you think you are a suitable candidate for the position;
- an indication of which of the 4 specific areas of responsibility you are interested in including what relevant experience you bring to that particular responsibility.
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete and will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 3431 Website: www.globalcitizen.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E80315 Closing date: 16 March 2018
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this post we seek particularly to attract Black South Africans. Non-South African applicants will need to have the appropriate rights to work in the country.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.